Social Media Marketing is such an all-encompassing term that it can sometimes be difficult to know where to start. If you’re new to marketing your business on a social platform, you may be wondering about the basics. We’ve compiled a list of a few things you should know as you begin your journey into the social media chaos.
- Facebook, YouTube and Instagram are continuously the top used platforms, year over year. You’ll possibly hear “advice” that Tik Tok is where you should be posting because of the platform’s growth, and although it may work for your genre or industry, just know that the stats don’t lie. If you want to be where the people are, you’ll want to give Meta and YouTube some love.
- It takes time to see results! We often hear from business owners that they feel like they should start seeing results in a month or two. After years of marketing on social and reviewing statistics, our experience tells us that unless you have a completely aggressive campaign (read as $$$) then it will take some time to see real, genuine results. Remember, your goal should be meaningful posts with real person engagement that allows you to support your current clients as well as potentially find new ones. That doesn’t happen overnight and sometimes not even in a quarter. Even if you have a viral video or reel.
- You will need to test your strategy. One of the most difficult parts of marketing a business that has no past on social is that there is not starting point or baseline to determine what might work. So, you must just start and see how things go. But keep track as you do and review your stats that you’re finally getting. Then, you can decide what type of posts work best, what time of day and what days of the week get the most views, and so on.
- Be consistent, responsive and flexible. This goes right along with testing. To determine what works and when, you’ll want to tweak things as you go, but not all at once. If you’re posting at 8pm every Thursday and that seems to be working and then it suddenly doesn’t, try a different time or a different day. If you just can’t get traction with pictures, try a video. If you can find the sweet spot for your audience, the growth will happen much faster.
- It’s always easier when you have a plan. Don’t go posting all willy-nilly and then wonder why things aren’t working. And definitely don’t wait until you need a post and you have no idea what it should be. A content calendar will come in handy and will save you time (and sanity) in the long run. At the very least, come up with 4-6 posts per month that you can be certain you will get out, then fill in the blanks from there.
Bonus: Do some research! Take some time to see what others are doing on their social media. Look at your competitors, look at your mentors, look at what’s trending and use it all as inspiration to do your own thing.
Are you ready to stop worrying about your social strategy and just let the experts take over? We are here to help, from monthly social posts to custom content calendars, ad campaigns and profile analysis, our team of social media pros is ready for you!